You've likely heard about the havoc that added sugar can have on your internal systems and processes. And there’s a ton of it in the food we eat today. This has led many individuals to lower their sugar intake or eliminate it entirely.
Do You Have a Sugar Addiction?
Here are a few telltale signs:
- You crave more and more sugar (the same amount doesn’t seem to satisfy)
- You consume sugar or sugary foods, even when you aren’t hungry
- You’re always craving sweets
- You begin to also crave salty foods more (this is often because you’re eating too many sugary food items, which means you aren’t getting the nutrients your body needs - like sodium!)
- You attempt to quit sugar, but you end up with headaches, fatigue, bloating, trouble sleeping, and more
- You feel guilty about the amount of sugar you eat
- You use sugar as a ‘reward’
Quit Your Sugar Cravings Once and For All
Here are a few ideas:
Fill up on a healthy and balanced meal.
Sometimes, we get stuck in a loop where we constantly give in to our cravings. But we know better. Next time you’re fighting off sugar cravings, substitute sugar with a healthy and balanced meal. Then, afterwards, determine if you really need that sugary food.
Go for a walk or call a friend. Exercise can be especially useful here since it produces endorphins which can make you feel good, replacing the ‘reward’ that sugar brings.
Include more protein in your meals.
Protein fills you up and doesn’t leave you hungry within 30 minutes or an hour after eating. Make sure you include a good serving of protein at every meal and snack.
Get some sleep.
Start prioritizing your sleep. The less sleep you have, the more likely you’ll crave the sweet stuff. Nip this in the bud by getting 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night.
Don’t cut calories.
Or if you do, do so gradually! Extreme restrictions in your diet can lead to sugar cravings since your body just wants a quick dose of energy. If you want to lose weight, create a very small calorie deficit over a decent time span. Not only will you not crave sugar, you’ll also be able to sustain this weight loss.
Get Your Sugar Cravings Under Control
Sugar addiction is all too real. In fact, some experts suggest that sugar lights up the same parts of the brain as cocaine.
And guess what? You can still have the treats - without the sugar! At Good & Tasty Bakes, we serve up sweet treats without added sugar. Shop now and satisfy your cravings without jeopardizing your health.